Thursday, June 21, 2012

Just a little ouchie

On Wednesday, 20 June, I had surgery.  I had an AVM, arteriovenous malformation, that needed to be removed. (lots of stuff on Google)  This is the second time I have had to have this surgery.  The first time was almost 12 years ago and pretty traumatic.  To say I was scared, this time around, would be a total understatement.  However, I was putting faith in the fact that 1) I was dealing with American doctors, not German; 2)  The AVM was much smaller this time around; and 3) I had a new baby (and four other fabulous bigger babies) that needed me.  I didn't have the luxury of wimping out.

Surgery went well, according to the report Dr. Lane gave my mom.  There was a lot of scar tissue that came out with the AVM.  (glad I didn't have to see it)  They had to cut pretty far into my cheek in order to get to the "root" and tie things off.  Now, on to recovery.

My face is crazy swollen and tender everywhere.  The soft tissues in my mouth are also swollen.    I'm icing a lot for this first day and trying really, really hard to NOT take the pain meds -- something about needing to be coherent at home.  I resemble a boxer who lost a fight.  Sexy, right? =)



So now that I have made it through my first night of not being able to bend over to talk to sweet Clara Grace in her bed ... and not passing out when she bonked me with that little head of hers while we burped ... I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed the healing goes quickly.

1 comment:

  1. That looks soooo painful! You poor thing!

    ReplyDelete